Autogas and Ecology
Although vehicles are much cleaner than in the past, they remain one of the most significant factors in air pollution. Vehicles running on LPG produce far fewer of the harmful emissions associated with traditional road fuels that contribute to environmental and health problems.
Autogas out-performs gasoline and diesel and most alternative fuels in the majority of studies comparing the environmental performance of conventional and alternative fuels that have been conducted around the world in recent years. Autogas emissions are especially low with respect to noxious pollutants. With regard to greenhouse-gas emissions, autogas performs better than gasoline and, according to some studies, out-performs diesel, when emissions are measured on a full fuel-cycle, or well-to-wheels, basis and when the LP Gas is sourced mainly from natural gas processing plants.
Climate change is one of the greatest issues of our age, and one subject sure to touch us more than any as we move forward. We can all play our part to reduce damaging greenhouse gases and pollutants by choosing better fuelling alternatives to both petrol and diesel.
In 2004 the European Emissions Testing Programme confirmed the environmental benefits and credentials of LPG vehicles. Tests were carried out at four independent laboratories across Europe testing petrol, diesel & LPG vehicles. These tests confirmed that LPG vehicles produce:
Autogas and norm Euro 6
case study : Scania R450 Euro 6
Emissions of carbon dioxide was examined for the tractor unit Scania R450. The Scania engine meets the requirements of Euro 6 . The measurement of carbon emissions made during a road test at the measuring section with a length of 56 km in Poland.
During the test was mapped daily operating conditions of the truck.
The study confirmed that the fuel blended with 20% of the total dose of LPG engine fuel (the rest - 80% of the diesel) causes a reduction in CO2 emissions.
- During driving only on diesel Scania emit an average of almost 922 grams of CO2 per kilometer.
- After switching on the LPG Autogas emissions of carbon dioxide decreased to 879 g / km.
Research was done by Poznan University of Technology, Institute of Combustion Engines and Transportation, Division of Combustion Engines in Februery 2014 in Poland.
Advantages LPG autogas over other fuels :
- Autogas has 105 octane, petrol only 95.
- The combustion of Autogas is smoother as a result of the higher octane content.
- Autogas contains no lead and is therefore cleaner and leaves no residue.
- Autogas reaches the engine in pure gas form with improved combustion resulting in fewer knocking.
- Very little discharge of carbon monoxide, less harmful substances.
- The life of the engine is extended.
- Less carbon means less fouling of spark plugs and points i.e. less wear and tear.
- Engine noise is low and one will be driving in a more environment-friendly way.